Hey, thats me!

About Kate Pease Photography

Hi! I am Kate. Welcome to my blog! I am based in the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area. Here you will find my latest shoots, my thoughts, and happenings in my personal life. Please do not use any images without permission. Images are copyright Kate Pease 2013. Please also visit my website www.katepease.com. If you have a question about a portrait session or wedding, lets talk! Email me at katepeasephotography@gmail.com

How to be photogenic!

As most of you know, I got to be on a local TV show on an NBC affiliate network. The show is called “Studio 5″. It’s a lifestyle TV show that is widely watched in our little state. SO, I was quite happy and nervous when they asked me to be on! Anyway, if you want to watch the clip, CLICK HERE (sorry, I don’t know for the life of me how to imbed it on here). Anyway, I thought I would blog the notes from the show along with the photos to hopefully help at least one person feel more photogenic and confident in front of the camera. PLEASE pay the most attention to the last point, because it is the most important! Oh, and big thanks to my dear sweet friends for letting me take the unflattering, and then the flattering photos of them and posting them/showing them on TV for the world to see.

Again, CLICK HERE if you want to see the segment on TV.

As a photographer, I hear quite frequently “I’m not photogenic”. Understandably, I’m sure all of us have had a photo taken that we have wanted to hide from. But, it doesn’t have to be that way! You can be as photogenic as can be! It is all in how you angle your face and body. So next time you get in front of that lens, use these suggestions to really show your best side. Here are some of my best tips on how to look good in photos.

No, you don’t have a double chin.

When having your photo taken, the most flattering angle for your face is when you stick your chin forward, and down. It gives you a jawline, eliminates any double chin, and makes your eyes appear bigger. So always think “chin forward and down” when having your photo taken.

2013-06-05_0003 2013-06-05_0009 2013-06-05_0013

Yes, you have lips.

A camera is very two dimensional, and if you don’t have any color on your lips, they can blend right into your face. Since no one really likes disappearing lips, put some color on them! It really brightens your face, and adds dimension.

2013-06-05_0008 2013-06-05_0014

2013-06-05_0010

No, the camera does not add 10 lbs.

It really doesn’t! It is all in how you stand! It starts with the shoulders. Think about it, they are probably the widest part of your body. When you stand square to the camera, it makes you look wide! Instantly lose 10lbs by just turning your shoulders to a 45 degree angle to the camera (slightly to the side).

2013-06-05_0001 2013-06-05_0004 2013-06-05_0006 2013-06-05_0011

Next comes your hips. Probably the other widest part of your body. The best way to narrow those hips and midsection is to stand with your feet shoulder distance apart with your weight on the back foot, and give your front knee a little bend. Voila! Instant-waistline!

2013-06-05_0005 2013-06-05_0012 2013-06-05_0007 2013-06-05_0002

Yes, you have a beautiful smile. (natural as opposed to fake looking at the camera)

2013-06-05_0015

You look your absolute best not only when you are smiling, but when you are laughing. Don’t hold back the laughter just because a camera is there! Also, even in the presence of a camera, you don’t have to look at it the whole time. Everyone loves a candid, relaxed photo. Try looking off camera. Even better, interact with who you’re being photographed with. If it’s your husband, child, or best friend, show affection. Smile, talk, interact with them too. It really tells the story of the photo, and better yet, it tells the story of your relationship.

Yes, you are photogenic.

2013-06-05_0016

We all have that “ideal” body image in our head of how we think we should look before having our photo taken. Don’t wait until you’ve achieved that dream body image in your head before you get in front of a camera. Your loved ones will never look at a photo of you and say “she really should have lost 10 lbs before having her photo taken”, or “Wow, she really should have changed her hair”. Never!  “ Life doesn’t wait until you “get thin” enough to capture it. Life is happening . . . it is happening right now and the only moment we are guaranteed is the one we are living.” (Quote by Theresa Porter) Photos of ourselves and our loved ones are priceless treasures that deserve to be recorded and celebrated. Your loved ones love you for exactly who you are now. Not the ideal image in your head you. Besides, 5-10 years from now, you’ll wish as good as you look today. So, seize the moment, make some memories, and get in front of that camera!

If you liked the tips, please also like my Facebook Page where I will keep you updated when I share more tips on looking your best in photos! xoxo

Like this post? Share it!

• Facebook
  • Diggit

69 Responses to “How to be photogenic!”

1. Kaylynn says:

Love these tips – now that I’ve watched and read, I’ll have to go educate my dear husband! Can’t wait to take new family pictures with these tips in mind!!

2. Great post, Kate! Besides the cool comparisons that interest me as a photographer, I loved the message! It was refreshing for me to hear today in particular. Sounds like we are photographers for the same reasons. ;) Thanks!

3. Katie Clark says:

These are brilliant! Thank you so much for sharing. I am definitely going to be implementing these tips in the very near future :)

4. Jojee says:

thanks for the tips! i’ve been shying away from getting my pictures taken because i’m not at all photogenic. i’ll try these tips out.

5. Andora says:

Thanks for the tips & encouragement. Wish I’d known this years ago – esp. at the annual Family Christmas Photo! Now to educate my husband.

6. Thank You for these great tips!

7. Great post and great tips! I love all the before and afters, they show show how all these little tricks really work!

8. Donna says:

Thanks for the great tips. We’re having family photos taken next weekend.

9. Penny says:

I want YOU to photograph me! :-)

10. Mindy says:

Awesome tips!! TFS :)

11. Janice Black says:

Great tips! I really enjoyed reading this.
    The only thing I would disagree with a bit is the lip color. Yes, it keeps your lips from disappearing, but it also detracts from your eyes! You mentioned that putting your chin lower and forward helps to make your eyes look larger. If you look at the “before” and “after” photos of the women who have gone from natural lip color to lipstick, you will notice how much smaller their eyes appear in the photos where they are wearing lipstick! So, I guess it’s a choice between what you want to emphasize . . . your eyes or your lips! In my opinion, the lady in the third set of photographs, who has the most colorless lips of the three, really does look better with a bit of lipstick . . . but the ladies in the first two photos actually look a little better without it.
    You can bet I’ll remember these ideas the next time I have to be photographed! Thanks again for sharing!

• admin says:

You’re welcome! And thank you for your feedback! It’s just my opinion in that I have taken hundreds and hundreds of women’s photos, and I think that in general, they look a little better with lipcolor on vs. a nude lip. But that’s just my opinion. Thanks for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment!

12. Tenley says:

Do you have any tips for older women in particular who have bags under eyes and sagging upper lids. Is there any way to minimize that look and make the eyes appear brighter, bigger, younger? Thanks for those very easy tips.

• admin says:

You can always ask your photographer to photoshop them! ;) I know it’s like the “go to”, but most women, even in their 20s have them, and it’s an easy fix. But if you don’t have photoshop available to you, I might try the make up method “highlight and contouring”. Look it up. It kind of leads your eyes where you want them to go when looking at a face and accentuates all the beautiful parts of your face. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment!

13. Kelly says:

Thanks so much for the tips and the great reminder! I hate having my picture taken because I don’t like my size! I am always saying…”when I lose weight, we’ll have pictures taken.” I need to remember your advice. Thanks so much!!

• admin says:

Thank you so much! I hope you will have your family photos taken now! Your family loves you as you are now, and you deserve to be remembered as they love you!

14. Harmony says:

We are going on a family vacation next week and I was already dreading getting photographed. Now I feel a little more confident! Thanks!

15. This is GREAT! I had heard the chin tip before but these are all fabulous! Any tips for squinty eyes and crinkly nose, LOL? :)

• admin says:

Squinty eyes and crinkly nose probably means you’re laughing pretty hard, which probably makes for an adorable photo! LOL! I’d have to see what you were talking about to tell you specifically. Thanks for stopping by!

16. Ami says:

So glad I found this! I’ve been struggling with how to look more photogenic, especially after seeing photos from a wedding I was in in May! Thank you thank you thank you! Gotta go practice “chin forward and down”!!

I’m also loving the fact that I know one of the couples in your photo collage – they were in my single’s ward in Iowa! Small world!

17. Katie says:

Nice blog! Thank you for the tips! I’m so terrible at taking photos, I think this will help a lot.

18. Adriane says:

Love these tips! Thank you!!!

19. Heather Commet says:

The Hip Trick. Does it still work the same when you are wearing a skirt? Or will that add extra “weight” to yourself??
    :) Thanks

20. ping says:

Thank you for sharing these tips. I used to blame the camera for mAking me look fat.

21. Vera Vaughn says:

this is really good advice thanks my dance troupe have group pic. coming up this week & I need all the help I can get lol

22. You You Xue says:

Amazing post! Thanks for sharing the tips! :)

23. Becky says:

Kate, I just want to thank you for the illustrated, easy tips. I’ve shared this with several people. You do such a great job of sharing info and I LOVE your work. Don’t know if you are going to Skip’s SS this year or not. Although I live right down the road from the hotel, I’m soooo busy at that time that I just couldn’t get away this year. Hope to do it again sometime. Love your work and especially your attitude — happy shooting!

24. Ian Atwood says:

Awesome tips Kate! I’m the non-photographer end of a brand new photography studio and trying to learn everything as fast as I can. Can’t wait to try these out! :)

25. Mary says:

I heard about the chin one on America’s Next Top Model. Tyra told one of the girls to stick her chin out. She said it’s uncomfortable but looks great. I’ve been doing that ever since. No more double chin! I also like to turn my face from the camera slightly to make my nose smaller.

26. Eileen says:

Wow this isamazing! Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge.
    I got to your website via Pinterest, clicked on the link for the TV segment video and was shocked to see what a difference these tips made.
    Kudos to you and again thank you for sharing.

27. Sue says:

Loved the tips. Will most definitely use them.
    From personal experience: Please, don’t wait to have family photos taken. Life is short and when you are “ready,” your loved ones may not be here.

28. Christi says:

Thank you so much…please keep tips coming our way!

29. Kasi says:

All my anxiety just went away and these were fab tips. THANK YOU!!!

30. Melanie says:

I mean I guess these are good tips, but many of them are centered around weight…
    I’m 5’11″ and 120 pounds, I never like the way I look in pictures, so it’s not just one body type or the other.

Some things I could think of to help make anyone photogenic would be tips on:
    - laying hair well
    - what to wear and how to coordinate clothes
    - make up do’s and dont’s
    - flattering poses for everyone
    - what to do with your hands
    - how to work with angles and posture
    - how to relax and smile normally

• admin says:

Thanks for the suggestions Melanie! You are so lucky to be so tall and thin! I just did these tips for weight because it is what most women are self concious about, so I wanted to put them at ease. But I have been thinking about the “what to do with hands” cause that’s a big one! THANKS!

31. CAROLYN ABBOTT says:

I practiced these poses while reading the post. I’ll bet it was a great show. Thanks for all the hints. I have never had a good picture. I shy away from the camera. Next time I will be armed with these ideas and lipstick.

32. Courtney says:

Thank you so much for these illustrations! We just did a little experiment of our own, and the results were amazing.

33. Kristin says:

This was an amazing blog post! I also loved that you used yourself! The photo examples were so helpful :)

34. Anna says:

This is amazing, and it was truly helpful, good job and congrats on being on the t.v. show!

35. Momwith2divas says:

Thanks for your tips. I always tell people I don’t want to be photographed because I’m in the witness protection program (only an idiot at church thought I was serious about that and asked if I should really be in leadership but I digress). The truth is that I’m heavier than I would like to be, I have a gap in my front teeth and I think my eyes are my most beautiful feature but they never look in the pictures like they look in the mirror or the way people tell me they look. With your tips, I may try again. Thanks so much!

36. Abi says:

Wow, I wish I had read this before my wedding! Still, better late than never. I just renewed my passport the other day and the passport official waved the mugshot at me and said “in 10 years time this photo you hate, you will love!” It kind of chimes in with your post here. Thank you!

• admin says:

oh Abi, you should see my passport photo. It is hands down the worst photo of me EVER IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND taken…ever. It is so horrific. Everyone I show, I’m like “this is the worst!” and they’re like “no way, let me see…..oh my…yes…it is!” LOL! Perhaps I should show it sometime for a good hearty laugh!

37. Kênia says:

Awesome tips! Thanks a lot for sharing! I hate shots and normaly I use to run away from cameras. Next time, I want to try those sugestions

38. Yousra M. Hassan says:

You’re a very sweet person Kate for caring enough to share this. Thank you! =)

39. Kristy says:

What suggestions do you have for squinty eyes? I have a tough time either looking like i’m surprised (eyebrows up! but looks fake) or eyes closed. I have tried looking just above the photographer’s head or ear. Sometimes I get it but many times I don’t. I do look better in candid shots where I’m usually laughing, but not everything is candid and I have family photos soon!

40. Sheryl says:

This was so very informative and fun to read — and answered lots of questions I didn’t know I had! I love that you used ‘real people’ as models (they are good sports) because it makes your tips easier to see the differences.

I’ve tweeted, FB’d, Pinned and think the whole entire world should read this, esp the last tip! Thank you very much! Best wishes for success in your business!

41. suchi says:

Hey kate,
    I’m from India and the tips are great. Well I have one question and I’ll truly appreciate if you could help me out. My question is that I have been through an article wherein it was mentioned to either enhance your eyes or lips but not both for a good photo. Well for an evening out I generally enhance both these features and would like to continue so. Could you let me know how I can get a better photo with both the features enhanced?:-)

• Kate says:

I think if you enhance both, you’ll look beautiful! If you think about it, celebrities do both their eyes and their lips for a red carpet. Maybe one is where the focus is, and the other is more subdued (more supporting the look and not the star of the look…you know what I mean?). The best tip for looking good in a photo, is just be confident and be yourself, and you will look amazing! Thanks for stopping by all the way from India!

42. […] As some of you may know, I struggled with my weight for many years and when it started to affect my work as a photographer I decided to make a change. Being on my feet for long hours shooting a wedding was not fun and in fact very painful the next day and I wanted to be able to do everything that any other photographer could do in getting those wow photos. So why am I telling you this now? Because I GET IT, probably more than anybody else, you want to look good on photos and if you feel like you hardly ever get a photo of yourself that you like, it is natural!!!  We are human, and unfortunately that means we find flaws in ourselves very easily. But I also want to try to change your perspective on it a bit. Many times it is all about the angles in photography. Your photographer (whoever they might be, if not me) should understand what angles are flattering for you. That is also why I suggest a pre-wedding shoot to clients so that I can have some time in getting to know what works for them.  I can’t speak for other photographers but I really try and look for poses and angles that will make you look good in a natural way without you feeling uncomfortable and self-conscious about the process. If you had to look online for tips on how to look good in photos you can probably found thousands posted by other photographers but I found this one to be so in line with my way of thinking and perfectly put together, I just couldn’t have done it better even if I tried, so I thought I’d share it with you today: http://www.katepeaseblog.com/2013/06/how-to-be-photogenic/ […]

43. suchi says:

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate. Its a fantastic article.

44. Gina says:

I just wanted to let you know that I like your suggestions for flattering pics. I also liked the comment that you made about taking pics and not worrying about how fat we look or how our hair isn’t what we wanted. I am one of those that until recently cut myself out of pics and just didn’t scrapbook pics of myself. Then I got to thinking, as I was removing pics of myself from my son’s pics that I took from his senior year, Gina you need to keep these in here! It shows how much you love your son and he will want to look back at those one of these days! So, I just try to find the good things about my pics and keep them in the scrapbooks. Thank you for your insight and I will be trying these new poses.

Gina

45. Cheryl says:

This has been helpful in so many ways !!! Thank you for sharing this information with us … much appreciated !!

46. Emily Main says:

Brilliant! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

47. Shelli says:

Beautiful photos. Great tips I will definitely be using these for our upcoming family photos. Are there any tips and before and after photos for men? I’d like to help hubby feel more confident . Thanks :)

48. Linda says:

Thanks for the tips–especially putting your weight on the back leg and then bending the front leg. Several times I have had women bend their back leg and I don’t notice until I see the photos later and think to myself that I could have had them in a more flattering pose if I had have had them bend the front leg, instead of the back one. Thanks.

49. Bianca says:

Great tips! Just one question…..how do you stick your chin out and down at the same time?? Am I missing something? If I stick my chin out, it goes up slightly, then if I put it down I feel I am back to where I started. Thanks.

50. Awesome tips! As an amateur photographer, these tips are super helpful! I’ve lost 132 lbs and still losing, but my kids will remember for most of my life as heavier and I always hid in pictures… no more hiding, these tips are great! Thank you!

51. […] As some of you may know, I struggled with my weight for many years and when it started to affect my work as a photographer I decided to make a change. Being on my feet for long hours shooting a wedding was not fun and in fact very painful the next day and I wanted to be able to do everything that any other photographer could do in getting those wow photos. So why am I telling you this now? Because I GET IT, probably more than anybody else, you want to look good on photos and if you feel like you hardly ever get a photo of yourself that you like, it is natural!!!  We are human, and unfortunately that means we find flaws in ourselves very easily. But I also want to try to change your perspective on it a bit. Many times it is all about the angles in photography. Your photographer (whoever they might be, if not me) should understand what angles are flattering for you. That is also why I suggest a pre-wedding shoot to clients so that I can have some time in getting to know what works for them.  I can’t speak for other photographers but I really try and look for poses and angles that will make you look good in a natural way without you feeling uncomfortable and self-conscious about the process. If you had to look online for tips on how to look good in photos you can probably found thousands posted by other photographers but I found this one to be so in line with my way of thinking and perfectly put together, I just couldn’t have done it better even if I tried, so I thought I’d share it with you today: http://www.katepeaseblog.com/2013/06/how-to-be-photogenic/ […]

52. […] How To Be Photogenic, by Kate Pease Photography. This post, by another Utah photographer, is a crucial list of tiny […]

53. Phil says:

Very good tips, and easy to understand what you mean. The tip about having the weight on the back leg and bending the front leg seems to be one that wouldn’t translate well for men. Do you have an alternative suggestion for this pose when photographing men?